You may or may not know that it is Earth Hour this Saturday (31st of March) at 8.30pm, Earth Hour was started in Sydney , Australia in 2007 by the WWF foundation, and is now supported in over 135 countries. Basically the primary reason for Earth Hour is to raise awareness of Climate Change, however it also raises awareness for other environmental issues, such as global warming, de-forestation etc. During Earth Hour (8.30 – 9.30pm), everyone is encouraged to turn off the lights in their house, business or anywhere that they are using lights (not your car!) to symbolize that they care about the planet. There are many city’s around the world that turn off the street lights and the lights on the main buildings and structures, for example in Auckland, the lights on the Sky Tower will be turned off and in Sydney they turn off the lights on the Sydney harbour bridge.
The team at Portable Solar Systems think Earth Hour is a great cause, the planet often gets forgotten as we rush around in our daily lives, and this is a chance to spend just one hour thinking about what we might be able to do for the planet and how we can reduce our impact. However the important thing is to take steps to put some (even better, ALL) of your ideas into action, even small steps can make a big difference, most steps you can take cost nothing or can even save you money! Some examples and ideas;
- Think about trying to reduce the amount you use your car, maybe bike to work once or twice a week. Also ensure that your car is running efficiently and it is serviced regularly.
- Think about the efficiency of your home, there are some really easy things you can do to make your home more energy efficient.
- Think about installing insulation in your roof and under your floor if your house is uninsulated, not only will it make your house warmer, but it will make it a healthier place to live.
- Replace inefficient light bulbs with energy efficient models, these will pay for themselves in a very short time and save you a lot of money.
- Try and reduce the amount of food packaging you throw away, consider buying bulk packs or products that use minimal packing, and if there is packaging make sure that it can be recycled.
We hope that you enjoy your Earth Hour and can take some steps to reducing your impact on the environment.
The team at Portable Solar Systems